Terms and Conditions v1.5
Thank you for considering Victoria Milne Editing & Proofreading. By booking any of my services you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Full package is charged at £8.70 or €10.50 or $13.00 per 1,000 words.
- Developmental edit is charged at £3.00 or €3.75 or $4.50 per 1,000 words.
- Line edit is charged at £6.00 or €7.50 or $9.00 per 1,000 words.
- Proofreading is charged at £4.00 or €5.00 or $6.00 per 1,000 words.
- For all services there is a minimum charge of £20.00 or €24.00 or $30.00.
- Fees are calculated up to the nearest 1,000 words so, for example, 10,300 words would be charged at £95.70 for the full package, £33.00 for a developmental edit, £66.00 for a line edit, and £44.00 for a proofread.
- Fees are payable in full within 14 days (unless otherwise agreed) of the arranged deadline for your edited or proofread work to be returned to you. For the full package, fees are payable in full within 14 days after you have received your completed line edit.
- Payments can either be made by bank transfer with your name as the reference, through PayPal or by cheque. A receipt will be issued once the payment has been received.
- I ask for a 20% non-refundable deposit to secure your slot in my schedule. This is payable within 1 week of a slot being agreed.
- If the deposit is not received within this time frame, I reserve the right to offer the slot to another client.
- The deposit paid will be deducted from your final invoice.
- A price for the job will be agreed in writing before the work begins. If you need to add any further material to your work, a separate price will be negotiated based on my charges per 1,000 words.
- Full package includes 1 developmental edit, 1 line edit and 1 proofread, plus 1 hour of subsequent email or telephone contact. If it is necessary for work to be done by you on the manuscript between the developmental edit and the line edit, then a line edit slot must be booked within 2 months of the date you receive the developmental edit feedback. The proofreading slot must be booked within 2 months of the date you receive your line edit feedback (the slot itself does not have to be within the 2 months), otherwise any proofreading will be charged at my standard proofreading rates. Any additional text added during the editing process that was not recommended by me, for example a new chapter included, will be charged at my standard rate per 1,000 words.
- Developmental editing includes 1 round of developmental editing only. If both a line edit and proofread are subsequently required then an additional £5.70 per 1,000 words will be charged. Up to 1 hour of email or telephone contact is included.
- Line edit includes 1 round of line editing only. If proofreading is required on the same material that falls outside of the 1 hour of subsequent contact then this will be charged at an additional £1.50 per 1,000 words.
- Proofreading includes 1 round of proofreading only. If further checking of the same material is required that falls outside of the 1 hour of subsequent contact then this will be charged at an additional £1.50 per 1,000 words.
- You will email me the entire work stated on your quote by midnight of the day before your agreed slot. If this deadline is not met there may be a delay in your work being returned, and/or the agreed work may not be able to be completed. The full agreed price for the job will still be due. If you are unable to meet the agreed deadline and need to rearrange your slot please let me know as soon as possible and I will do my best to accommodate this.
- A deadline will be agreed for the edited or proofread work to be returned to you. This will be emailed to you by midnight on the agreed date at the very latest.
- All services include up to a total of 1 hour of email or telephone contact for a period of 2 calendar months after I have returned your edited or proofread work to you. This can be used if you have any further questions or queries. Please note that any additional work undertaken will be charged at my standard rate per 1,000 words, as appropriate.
Standards I work to
- I edit and proofread in the language that the work is currently in, whether that is American or British English. This includes both grammar and punctuation. Where extensive alterations to the basic punctuation or grammar are required I will provide a detailed explanation of what needs to be corrected, but it will be up to you to go through the work and make these corrections. An example of when I would do this is if British speech marks have been used where the rest of the work is written in American English.
- For British English, I edit and proofread using New Hart’s Rules and the Oxford English Dictionary. If you require me to use a different dictionary or style guide please let me know in writing before you send me your work. Although these are the industry standard guidelines, please note that some publishing houses may ask for alternative standards to be met. If this is the case please send me a copy of their submission requirements before you send me your work.
- For American English, I edit and proofread using The Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary. If you require me to use a different dictionary or style guide please let me know in writing before you send me your work. Although these are the industry standard guidelines, please note that some publishing houses may ask for alternative standards to be met, if this is the case please send me a copy of their submission requirements before you send me your work.
- I will edit or proofread your work in Microsoft Word using track changes, making corrections directly in the document, and will also use the comment boxes. Any changes I make can be accepted or discarded by you. If you are unfamiliar with track changes, or are unable to submit your work in Microsoft Word, please let me know in writing before you submit your work.
- All original content delivered to me for editing and/or proofreading is owned by you. Following full payment of your invoice, any content created by me as part of the editing and/or proofreading process becomes your copyright, unless otherwise agreed.
- Your work will be kept completely confidential and will not be made known to any third party without prior written permission.
- I will keep a backup copy of the edited and/or proofread work for a period of 12 months. If you do not wish a copy to be kept, please let me know in writing.
- If you would like your Word files to be password protected, please let me know in writing at the time of booking.
- If you would like to use Dropbox for the transferring of files, please let me know in writing at the time of booking.
- In the unlikely event that I need to change a deadline due to severe illness, family bereavement etc., I will contact you as soon as possible to agree a revised date. If a revised deadline cannot be agreed then your 20% deposit will be refunded. I accept no liability for any knock-on effect this may cause, such as a delay in your submission to a publisher or to your decided self-publishing date.
- If you need to cancel the work agreed, the following terms will apply:
- Cancellation prior to the date of the agreed slot will result in the 20% deposit being retained, but no further payment will be required.
- Cancellation during the agreed slot will result in 100% of the agreed fee to be paid within 14 days.
- In the unlikely event that you are affected by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause the cancellation or necessitate your slot to be rearranged, please contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
- Most editors agree that catching around 95% of errors is the most anyone can achieve. Please read through your edited or proofread work carefully and ensure you are entirely happy with it before publishing.
- If your work has been edited but not proofread, I highly recommend that you arrange for it to be proofread before publishing.
- Please ensure that you have properly researched and checked your work before sending it to me, particularly with historical or science fiction. I will check any facts that catch my attention, but thorough fact checking is beyond the scope of a standard edit or proofread.
- Every effort will be taken to correct or highlight all errors or potential issues in your work, but the responsibility for the final work remains with you, the author.
- I accept no liability for any errors remaining in the work or for any legal action arising as a result of any inaccurate or defamatory information appearing in your piece of work.
- If you would like to acknowledge me in your work but have made changes to the work after I have proofread it (or if I have not proofread it), please include a line to this effect. This is because if any errors are introduced it may give an inaccurate impression of my editing.
- I reserve the right to put a link on my website to your work on Amazon or other platforms. If you do not want me to do this, please let me know in writing.
- If you are pleased with the work I have done for you, please consider writing a testimonial that can be of use to future clients to help them decide if I would be a good match for their editing and proofreading requirements.